Sit Ubu, Sit. Good Blog.

Fascinating blather about alternative and indie pop/rock and other
From Sarah (on Your Radio & The Internet)
Host of Thursday Java Time
Thursdays 6am - 8:30am
91.3FM WVUD / online WVUD.org
Listen Online, Why Don'tcha

Thursday, July 20, 2006

I'm Looking Out for Number One, and Number One Ain't You


There is a mouse in my apartment. And this ain't one uh dem fancy booklearnin' mouses they got in the labs or at the library. This is a garden variety, uninvited, greyish brown nuisance of a mouse. This mouse startled me into making unnaturally high-pitched noises the likes of which would impress dolphins. I am a tall woman. I should not be able to reach pitches that high. My poor neighbor downstairs said that he couldn't decide if I was being tickle-tortured or simply tortured, so he ran up to check on me. He found me, pacing back and forth, inconsolable, after giving my hand a Silkwood shower for several minutes with a brush and several thousand pumps of anti-bacterial soap.

What did I do to come in contact with the mouse, you ask? Well, I opened the cabinet below my sink and reached in to drop a paper towel into the trashcan. I heard something, then felt something very warm on my hand and wrist. I looked down and saw a VERY LARGE mouse frantically scurrying over the edge of the trashcan, back towards the wall from whence he came.

I hope that the mouse is reading this, as I'd hate to put down traps all over my kitchen without giving him at least a warning. (Mouse, I've put down traps all over my kitchen. There's your warning.) Unless you're paying rent and telling me witty stories, I want you out. I hate to pull rank on you, but I'm Mr. Big in my apartment.

With that said...


As warm and soothing as a filthy mouse crawling all over your hand, here are my playlists for today:

Log for first half of July 20th, 2006 show

Log for second half of July 20th, 2006 show

6 Comments:

  • At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sarah, you have nothing to fear. I will provide some facts about house mice so that you may regain at least a small measure of comfort:

    1. House mice feed only 15 to 20 times a day.

    2. House mice duck in and out and dart around merely to pick up morsels of food.

    3. House mice entering an already occupied territory (presumably by other, more robust mice) are not welcome and are driven off.

    4. House mice rarely, though sometimes, scurry under bed sheets while the occupant is asleep.

    When next confronted by a mouse, I urge you to think Mickey Mouse or maybe Jerry or even Speedy Gonzalez. These are sweet-natured rodents, I tell you!

    Yet, I can relate to your terrifying experience. A 10,000-legged, numerous antennae, one inch water bug once advanced on me. I bolted like lightning to the opposite side of the room, the male analog of a female shriek. If Disney would only render this creature as a kooky, lovable cartoon, I could sleep once again.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger ThursdayJava said…

    Helmut,
    Thank you for your comment. It was, perhaps, the least comforting thing I have ever read and I would urge you to please never tell women who are scared of mice these things ever again.

    "Rarely, though sometimes, scurry under bedsheets."

    A pox on your house, Helmut!

    It's good to know that you shriek, though. My ex used to shriek at mice, but ONLY WHEN THEY LEAPT AT HIM, which one did. It jumped! Way high up in the air! Towards his face!

    *shudder*

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger Mike Garvey said…

    S,
    Have you heard the new Thom Yorke disk? Any good?

     
  • At 11:10 AM, Blogger ThursdayJava said…

    Garvey!
    Yep, I've heard a few songs from it and it's quite good. It does remind me of Radiohead, though, which is probably why I like it. Thom's not skipping into some complete new genre, like bluegrass or something, so it's accessible and interesting, much as Radiohead is. Mama likes!
    How's the offspring?

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Of course, I am needling you. The 10,000-legged creature, however, does exist and did try to trample me.

    You are sweet and clever. Have a pleasureful weekend, Sarah.

     
  • At 9:14 AM, Blogger Mike Garvey said…

    I only recently got into the radioheads, so about all I know of Yorke is that he has superfluous letters in his name. And that I'm a big fan.

    The offspring is the bees knees! She slept well last night, so Lisa and I are in high spirits. Thanks for asking!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home