Sit Ubu, Sit. Good Blog.

Fascinating blather about alternative and indie pop/rock and other
From Sarah (on Your Radio & The Internet)
Host of Thursday Java Time
Thursdays 6am - 8:30am
91.3FM WVUD / online WVUD.org
Listen Online, Why Don'tcha

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Bedspread

I saw most of the first episode of the incredible new show, Black.White. on FX last night. So far, the thing that strikes me the most about the show is how odd and insensitive (in an almost terrifying way) the white father (who is made up to be a black man) is. I say "terrifying" because he, so far, seems to have NO IDEA of how his words are affecting those around him. I was shocked that his own wife, let alone the black family with whom he's living, didn't get up and stuff an entire bedspread into his mouth to get him to be quiet a few times. His idea of how the N word could or should affect people suggested that he's not opening himself up to this experience yet. I think he feels like he "gets" being black after just a day. I felt strangely ashamed of and for him when he talked about it. I hope it turns out that he is a good, sensitive man who opens his mind and learns from the show.

Otherwise, this first episode made me feel that the white family, in general, might learn more from this experience than the black family. The mother of the black family brought up the excellent point that she, her family, and black people in general have had to exist in a world that is ubiquitously culturally white. Everywhere she goes, she can and does interact with white people and white culture. However, the white family has not had the experience of living in a country where black culture is omnipresent. Their experience of black people has been limited, so they will probably end up learning more from living with the black family.

Now onto music:
Gomez is consistently good. I have loved them for years and their new album, "How We Operate" is as good as I'd hoped. I've heard only maybe four songs from it so far, but am pleased, pleased, pleased.

The Winterpills are really working for me. Click on the linky for an NPR reviewof the Winterpills and hear a few of their songs, like "Laughing", which is my favorite so far. I want to wake up to that song every day.

The show was RIFE with good music today. Here are today's logs:

Log for first half of March 9th, 2006 show

Log for second half of March 9th, 2006 show

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home