Sit Ubu, Sit. Good Blog.

Fascinating blather about alternative and indie pop/rock and other
From Sarah (on Your Radio & The Internet)
Host of Thursday Java Time
Thursdays 6am - 8:30am
91.3FM WVUD / online WVUD.org
Listen Online, Why Don'tcha

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Online Dating #1

I've dabbled in online dating. I've noticed the same good and bad points about it that every woman in her thirties has. It's hard to feel enthusiastic about it when so many of the responses I get are from men more than fifteen years my senior. I thought I wasn't being clear, so I specified in my profile that I'm looking for someone within six years of my own age. Yet, I still get an impressive number of responses from men in their late fifties. Many of them, strangely, are from Florida. I can see where they're coming from, though. "I mean, why wouldn't 30-something Sarah from Delaware, who specifically states that she would enjoy the company of a man her own age, bend the rules a bit for a silver fox, like me, in his late fifties, from Boca? Clearly, this is the long-distance, May-December romance Sarah has been waiting for. Why must Sarah be so rigid? Perhaps I should email Sarah repeatedly until she realizes the folly of her instincts. I will call her "Sweetie" a few times in the email and compliment her on her figure. I will also make Sarah aware of my financial status. I cannot lose." I respond politely unless the email is somehow offensive. What a strange world. It does put a new spin on some of the Cary Grant movies for me, though. That cat was impressing women half his age all the time. Yet, not all mature men are Cary Grant and not all younger women are distressed victims, forced into the role of spy because of their relationships with bad guys. Most younger women, are, however, game for being chased up and down the face of Teddy on Mt. Rushmore. Believe that.

This week's fabulous radio show was rife with technial errors. Some of them were my own darned fault, but some of them were not quite my own darned fault. For instance, I now know that, if the computer cuts off announcements 4 seconds in, it is working around a corrupted file and must be rebooted. I did not know that before this last show, when I played a few announcements that abruptly stopped, leaving me irritable and nervous about playing any of the scheduled announcements from the computer. Harumph. Good news, though! Even if everything is working perfectly, you might still hear me read a public service announcement telling you allllll about how to attend the wonderful event that happened yesterday. You can't attend! It's over! Here's how you could have attended, though, if I'd read this to you before the event occurred! Sigh. At least I've gotten out of the habit of saying, "You're listening to Friday morning Java Time." My show has been on Thursday mornings for a few months now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home