Sit Ubu, Sit. Good Blog.

Fascinating blather about alternative and indie pop/rock and other
From Sarah (on Your Radio & The Internet)
Host of Thursday Java Time
Thursdays 6am - 8:30am
91.3FM WVUD / online WVUD.org
Listen Online, Why Don'tcha

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

My Bloody Valentine

Happy Valentine's Day! I'm a day late doing this, but that's because I was very busy yesterday with work and bleeding. While washing my face before working out, I must have splashed water a bit too zealously onto my face, as I managed to scratch the inside of my nose with my pinky. I don't even have long fingernails. It was startling. I kept rinsing my face with my eyes closed and when I opened them, the sink seemed to have an AWFUL LOT OF BLOOD IN IT. Usually, I don't bleed at all when washing my face. Honestly. The interesting thing I learned with this first-ever nosebleed is that, while noses will bleed seemingly intensely, they cease rather abruptly and everything gets normal. Exciting!

In other news, I'm considering having a state trooper on my show some time soon to talk about traffic patterns. I don't mean the actual roads or congested areas, but rather the social and emotional patterns that emerge when lots of people have to drive daily in Philadelphia and Delaware and the surrounding areas. I think that many of our traffic accidents and aggressive driving problems come solely from an emotional place. If forced to prove it, I think most people really do understand how to drive safely. Yet, driving is a a stressful activity, even for those of us who like it and enjoy being in a car. More on this later.

I currently have to do some work and stop staring at the giant heart-shaped box of chocolates that a client brought in. I suspect that most of the candy that is given as gifts to offices is just unwanted, diet-busting fare that the giver is too frightened to have with him or her at home. I'm frightend by this giant box of chocolates. I walked by it and, not only was it dancing side-to-side and gesturing wildly, but also it asked if I had gained weight. Then, it offered to comfort me, saying something about "societal norms" and "unreasonable beauty standards." I was just about to hug it when I came to my senses and went back to my desk. Besides. I have not gained any weight. So there, taunting box of chocolates. Fie on you.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nothing like reinacting a scene from Poltergeist that traumatized nine-year-olds the world over (well, this one anyway) to get your morning going.

    And my only real memory of driving through DE has to do with getting a speeding ticket from some Shultzstaffel with airplane-borne radar on his side. I've kind of avoided the place ever since.

     
  • At 6:48 AM, Blogger ThursdayJava said…

    Ah, Delaware. Welcoming strangers since, well, sometimes it's just not all that welcoming, I guess. In fact, you should just probably go. I'm sorry. No, please. OH GOD COME BACK I WAS ONLY KIDDING

     

Post a Comment

<< Home