Sit Ubu, Sit. Good Blog.

Fascinating blather about alternative and indie pop/rock and other
From Sarah (on Your Radio & The Internet)
Host of Thursday Java Time
Thursdays 6am - 8:30am
91.3FM WVUD / online WVUD.org
Listen Online, Why Don'tcha

Monday, February 06, 2006

Puppy Bowl!


Puppy Bowl is, possibly, the smartest thing I have ever heard of. What a brilliant alternative to watching the Super Bowl. Puppy Bowl is three solid hours of footage of puppies playing in a small room decorated to resemble a football field and stadium.

I actually watched a lot of it yesterday. Sure, I checked in on the "real" Super Bowl, but the players just weren't fluffy enough.
Is this

as adorable as this?


Okay, granted, not many people are looking for "adorable" in their football players. But how about agility? Skill? Tenacity? Puppies have all of those things.

I can't imagine how the pitch meeting went. I assume some guy or gal said, "Hey, I don't particularly like watching football. Let's put something on for animal lovers who don't like televised sports." Eventually, it blossomed into what it is today: a three hour festival of cuteness that appeals to voyeuristic shut-ins like me.

If I were the head of Animal Planet, this is how the pitch meeting would have gone:

Guy: We have this idea for alternative programming during the Super B--
Me: SOLD!
Guy: Um, so if you don't want to watch football, you watch us and we have a bunch of puppies and-
Me: SOLD!
Guy: we um, we put them in a big sort of container with plexiglass walls and we paint the carpet with yardlines and put advertising for dog-relevant products like Subarus and Vacuums and Dogfood on the sides and --
Me: There are puppies, though, right? And we see them?
Guy: Well, y--
Me: SOLD! *clapping/jumping up and down*

Ah, I should mention. They have Kitty Halftime, too. Yup. A half-hour of kittens romping around on a gaudy, glitzy, disco-ball'd, sequiny set to the sounds of faux techno music.

P.S. Mr. Bettis? You are a handsome man. I mean you no disrespect when I say that you are not as adorable as a puppy.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the first Puppy Bowl was only 90 minutes long. I'm glad to see that they came to their senses this year. Also, you can get the first one on DVD, too!

    I nominate Sheba for MVP.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home