Sit Ubu, Sit. Good Blog.

Fascinating blather about alternative and indie pop/rock and other
From Sarah (on Your Radio & The Internet)
Host of Thursday Java Time
Thursdays 6am - 8:30am
91.3FM WVUD / online WVUD.org
Listen Online, Why Don'tcha

Monday, August 06, 2007

Please Hold for Mr. Click


I just got telemarketed at work. The woman upstairs buzzed me and said, "there's some guy on the phone yammering about website stuff [I built and maintain our site] and we think he's a sales guy, but, just in case, you should take it." I had to laugh. She then added, "so YOU get to launch him. Good luck."

I am surprisingly unmeek on the phone now that I am well into my thirties. This poor telemarketer guy gets transferred to me and...

Me: Hi, this is Sarah. May I help you?
TeleGuy: Hi, Sarah! (he's learned the valuable say the person's name after a pregnant pause! device forced on people when they're learning to influence others)
Me: Hi. Is there something I can help you with?
TeleGuy: Yes, [breath] Sarah. I wanted to talk to you about your company's website and
Me: Sir, I'm sorry, but I'm with a client [lying]. I really can't take the ti--
TeleGuy: Sarah, I understand your hesitation completely.
Me: Thanks for your interest, I have to go now.
TeleGuy: Sarah, are you in charge of the marketing for your website?
Me: Well, we're a small company and we market ourselves directly to our customers on the site, which I created and maintain."
TeleGuy: I completely understand, Sarah, but I really wanted to talk to you about - - -
Me: Thanks for your interest. I'm with a client and we don't require your services. Have a great day! *click*

I think he may have been talking when I hung up. I feel kind of terrible about this. But, come on. I was polite, right? Gads, he was loud and persistent. I still have an earache and am NOT interested in the hard sell. Sorry, fella.

I should have done what the women in my boss's brother's office used to do. Salesmen would be extremely pushy on the phone and would keep angling to talk to their manager or boss. The secretaries would repeatedly and politely deflect them, until they could take it no longer.

Infuriated Secretary: You want to talk to the boss? Okay, then. Please hold for Mr. Click.


*click*


No more telemarketer.




Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice touch sarah! lol - joe m

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salespeople call my office and ask for Charles (the boss who doesn't go by that name so it's a sure sign that it's nonsense). In my sweet blonde girl voice, I sometimes say "This is Charles." It baffles them enough and they hang up.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home